8/14/11

Coming of Age

I finally saw Submarine last night. It was better than I had expected, though I already had a positive bias towards the film since the soundtrack (songs composed by Alex Turner) is such a knockout. As I watched Craig Roberts as the borderline pretentious, socially awkward Oliver Tate -I (being the analyst that I am) began thinking: "I feel the exact same way sometimes, do I have this cinematic-view of 15 year-old mentality at 20 years old?"

I guess a person like me is naturally drawn to coming-of-age films, from The Graduate to Garden State and anything that can fall in the gray area between. For the past 6 years, I've constantly thought about life and love whether it's my life and love or that of others. Then these films come out and, as you watch them, everything makes perfect sense -until the credits start rolling. I guess from the ages of Oliver Tate's 15 to Andrew Largeman's mid-twenties, one is supposed to be discovering who they are and what they want, but isn't it a problem if a 15 year old can relate to someone who is almost 30 on such an emotional level?

I know that film is fictional most of the time, but everything means so much more when you can relate to it. I guess what I'm trying to get at is age...maybe maturity -it's all subjective. A person can feel...confused (for lack of a better word) if there's some indie, Brit film with a inquisitive, insightful, but maybe precocious teenager that he or she can relate to when they're more or less an "adult" on the brink of their twenties. Then you watch Garden State and a person is supposed to have at least something important figured out and set by that age, right?

Either I'm thinking too much into this or I've aged myself too quickly by thinking that I should have some sort of cemented plan by the time I reach 21. Did I enjoy being 15 or did I rush it? Will I be going home to visit my family in my mid-twenties and be completely, emotionally removed from everyone because I wanted to stick to what I thought was right? Maybe I should just be satisfied with being able to relate to something -fictional film or not, regardless of extenuating circumstances.

Does this make any sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment