5/16/11

7:15 P.M.

"Better Man" has been on repeat for the past 15 minutes. I've been on this Pearl Jam thing. Actually anything remotely "grunge." With this said, I'm 90% sure I will be attending Pearl Jam 20 Festival this September. I'm going for The Strokes (like that needed to be said) but Queens of the Stone Age are playing too so it'll be a good time. Plus, I'll get to skip Monday's 8 a.m. lab to sleep in and bask in the up-all-night beer drinking and dancing that is bound to ensue.

In Guilty Pleasure/Reality TV news: Real Housewives of New Jersey starts tonight. Now, as a woman, I am...shall I say...offended(?) that these women act like lunatics but as a person who likes to be entertained -this show is QUEEN! I'll miss that crazy, wannabe Lesbian Danielle Staub though. Her logic, or lack there of, was always a Monday night favorite among my mother and I.

In Music news: There's this dispute going down between Tyler, The Creator and well...everyone, especially Sara Quin of Tegan & Sara. I, in NO way, support homophobic or misogynistic ideals, but I really like Tyler's music.


Of course, as a supporter of the LGBT community and Gay rights, I take offense to the word "fag" and, as a woman, don't think that it should be acceptable for the rap community to constantly refer to women as their "bitches", but should this 20 year-old's rhymes be taken so literally? The rap community has built an empire on homophobic and misogynistic music and, up until now, the majority of people have ignored it because of the beat and presence in the club.

It's not right, obviously, and if the world was perfect none of it would exist. But who said that the meaning of life could be found in the lyrics to "Yonkers" or "AssMilk"? I mean, even the titles of some of the tracks show that it's not to be taken so seriously. I've never been a huge hip-hop enthusiast, but this is how the kid writes, this is how he expresses himself, and if it's not literally hurting anyone, then let him be. If you don't like it - don't listen to it.

Have I deleted some of Tyler's tracks that take it to a repellent level? Of course. So why doesn't everyone else?

Ok, I'm off my soap box. I have nothing else to say. I wish my life was more interesting. Summer has just begun and maybe it won't be so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment